MASTER OF VESSELS OF 25, 50 OR 100 GROOS TONS LICENSE
- 720 Days of boating experience with 360 days of that time offshore (beyond the U.S. territorial boundary line for Near Coastal)
- Free of drug or felony convictions in the past 3 years. First & CPR (original license)
- Physical Exam with eyesight 20/200 or 20/400 with waiver corrected to 20/40 (completed within 1 year of USCG application date)
- Drug Test. (completed within 6 months of USCG application date)
- TWIC Card or proof of application for a TWIC Card
MASTER 100 GRT (Gross Register Tons) Near Coastal License. Requires a total of 720 (8-hour days)
Issued in 25, 50 and 100 GRT increments, Determination of License Tonnage is based on vessel tonnage you gained your experience on.
Below are the tonnage experience and sea time out of the required total 720 days.
- If all boat time is under 5 GRT, you will get a 25 GRT license
- If 1 day is over 5 GRT, you will get a 50 GRT license
- If 180 days is over 50 GRT, you will get a 100 GRT license
- If 360 days is over 34 GRT, you will get a 100 GRT license
Go to our Small Boat Tonnage Guide for more information on estimating the Gross and Net Tonnage for your boat.