ARPA (Automatic Radar Plotting Aids)«Back
QUALMI-37: ARPA (Automatic Radar Plotting Aids) STCW Code 2011 Edition Approved!
COURSE LENGTH: 32 HOURS (4 DAYS)
This course provides training to mariners who wish to obtain an endorsement to their STCW 2010 certificate in conjunction with the certification as Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch (OICNW) to allow service on ARPA equipped vessels. The course provides students with classroom instruction and simulator training which will, upon successful completion of all assessments, satisfy the ARPA training requirements for certification as Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch on vessels of 500 or more gross tonnage (ITC) and of 46 CFR 11.202(c) and the following practical assessments from the National Assessment Guidelines for Table A-II/1 of the STCW Code, As amended, in 2010: OICNW-3-1A, OICNW-3-1B, OICNW-3-1C, OICNW-3-1D, OICNW-3-1E, OICNW-3-1F, OICNW-3-1G, OICNW-3-1H, OICNW-3-1I, OICNW-3-1J, OICNW-3-1K and OICNW-3-1L, OICNW-3-2A, OICNW-3-2B, OICNW-3-2C, OICNW-3-2D, OICNW-3-2E, OICNW-3-2F, OICNW-3-2G, OICNW-3-2H, OICNW-3-2I, OICNW-3-2J, OICNW-3-2K, OICNW-3-2L OICNW-3-2M and OICNW-3-2N; and also for assessment numbers M-5-1A, M-5-1B, M-5-1C and M-5-1D from the National Assessment Guidelines for Table A-II/2 of the STCW Code, As Amended.
If you need to renew your Radar Observer endorsement at the same time, Radar Observer Recertification is free with QMT’s ARPA course. As a prerequisite to attendance the student must either hold a current endorsement to their U.S. Coast Guard License as Radar Observer (Unlimited) or present proof of successful completion of a U.S. Coast Guard approved course for endorsement as Radar Observer (Unlimited) prior to taking the ARPA course. The student must be proficient with radar plotting skills prior to course attendance.
The following topics are covered in the course:
- Review of Radar Collision Avoidance Plotting
- Possible Risks of Over-reliance on ARPA
- Types of ARPA Systems and Displays
- IMO Performance Standards for ARPA
- Factors Affecting System Performance and Accuracy
- Tracking Capabilities and Limitations
- Processing Delays
- Operational Warnings, Their Benefits and Limitations
- System Operational Tests
- Methods of Target Acquisition and Limitations
- True and Relative Vectors and Graphic Representation of Targets
- Past Positions of Tracked Targets
- Setting Up and Maintaining the Display (practical)
- Performing System Operational Tests (practical)
- Obtaining Information From the ARPA Display (practical)
Examination and Assessment:
One written 20 question examination, passing is 80 percent and; four practical assessments will be given with each containing one or more STCW required assessments. All assessments are pass/fail and the student is required to complete all assessments successfully to receive the ARPA certification.