QUALMI-399: Radar Unlimited – 5 Days STCW Code 2011 Edition Approved!
COURSE LENGTH: 5 DAYS
RADAR OBSERVER UNLIMITED (QUALMI-399): This 5-Day course provides training to mariners who wish to obtain an endorsement to their US Coast Guard Merchant Mariners License as Radar Observer (Unlimited). The course provides students with classroom instruction covering the examination topics identified in 46 CFR, Part 11.480 and Table A-II/1 and Section B-I/12 of the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watch keeping for Seafarers, as amended in 2010 and the STCW Code, as amended including the 2010 amendments.
This course provides students with classroom instruction and simulator training which will, upon successful completion of all assessments, satisfy the requirements for 46 CFR 11.480(d) for an endorsement as Radar Observer (Unlimited) and the Radar training requirements for certification as Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch on vessels of 500 or more gross tonnage (ITC) and the following practical assessments from the National Assessment Guidelines for STCW Table A-II/1 of the STCW Code, as amended, in 2010: OICNW-1-2B, OICNW-1-2C, OICNW-3-1A, OICNW-3-1B, OICNW-3-1C, OICNW-3-1D, OICNW-3-1E, OICNW-3-1F, OICNW-3-1G, OICNW-3-1H, OICNW-3-1I, OICNW-3-1J, OICNW-3-1K and OICNW-3-1L; and also for assessment numbers M-5-1B and M-5-1C from the National Assessment Guidelines for Table A-II/2 of the STCW Code, as amended, in 2010.
The Radar Observer (Unlimited) course is divided into several sections as follow:
- Regulatory process and RADAR regulations including the legal aspect of RADAR as it relates to the Rules of the Road
- History of RADAR – RADAR theory, operation and interpretation of display including examination
- River navigation and collision avoidance on rivers including practical exercises and examinations on RADAR simulator
- Inland RADAR navigation, Stabilized and Un-stabilized displays including using RADAR to fix vessel position including practical exercises and examination
- Collision avoidance including target vessel course/speed change including practical exercises and examination
- Effect of own-ship course/speed change including practical exercises and examination.