Refresher/Deck Officer Refresher (STCW)«Back
QUALMI-473: Refresher/Deck Officer Refresher STCW Code 2011 Edition Approved!
COURSE LENGTH: 24 HOURS (3 DAYS)
Course Description (This is not BST Refresher):
This course is for deck officers renewing their merchant mariner credential (MMC) with STCW, that cannot present evidence of at least one year of sea service during the past five years. Masters or Mates of vessels of 500 gross tons (ITC) or more, with an STCW 95 certificate, but with all or most of their service in the past five years on the Inland or Great Lakes waters, will also need to complete this training. The other renewal requirement for STCW is to also completeBasic Safety Training Refresher for continuing competency in Basic Safety Training.
This course aims to meet the knowledge, understanding and proficiency requirements of Para 1.4 of Section A-I/11 of the STCW Code, as amended, for demonstration of continued professional competence for Officers in Charge of a Navigational Watch or Masters and Chief Mates on ships of 500 gross tons (ITC) or more; AND satisfy the requirements of 46 CFR 10.227 (d)(8)(i)(C) an approved refresher course in lieu of the one year of service in the past 5 years for renewal of a license or credential. This course covers the objectives of bridge teamwork procedures and navigational watchkeeping procedures. Also includes exercises in passage planning, BRM practices and situational awareness. Also included are practical training and assessment using our ship simulator navigational functions and equipment in a real-time navigational environment in performing proper actions which are necessary for maintaining a safe navigational watch. The practical assessments conducted in this course are accepted as the equivalent of the following assessments from the National Assessment Guidelines for Table A-II/1 of the STCW Code, As Amended: OICNW-2-2A Watch Relief; OICNW-2-2B Keep a Safe Navigation Watch; OICNW-2-2E Navigate in Restricted Visibility; and OICNW-2-3D BRM Condition III – Collision Avoidance.
Examination and Assessment:
- Examination – Deck Officer Refresher Examination – 20 questions – 14 correct/70%passing.
- Proficiency Assessment and Ship Simulator Exercises: Passage Planning and Deck Officer Conference – Construct a passage plan incorporating thepractices from the ICS Bridge Procedures Guide and following General Provisions on ship routing. Teams will conduct a deck officers conference presenting a passage plan.
Accident Review – Review accident investigation reports and develop opinions pertaining to the case regarding utilization or lack of bridge resource management, situational awareness and the error chain of events leading to the accidents.
Navigational Watchkeeping (On Ship Simulator): The students will observe own ship’s performance along a pre-planned route, and decision making for collision avoidance maneuvers within each simulation exercise include:
- Monitoring of vessel traffic.
- Collision avoidance in compliance with the COLREGS.
- Monitoring the passage plan as executed.
- Monitoring radio communications.
- Controlling the speed and direction of the ship.
- Recording bridge activities.
- Make periodic checks on the navigational equipment.
- Calling for support on the bridge.
- Watch handover and relief procedures